Saturday, July 28, 2012

Wedding Update 2: Decoration Ideas, Food, and Cake!

So I've decided that my colors will be Black and Maroon (/Orchid/Plum-ish...around those shades) with hints of orange. This way some of my favorite colors will be included as well as matching with the Fall theme.

Because of this, I hope to be able to buy (or make) a maroon veil with black flowers and black trim. This way it will match my black/maroon bouquet (may add a few small orange flowers or leaves in there too.) I'm still trying to decide how to bring in some of my colors to my actual dress though. I'm hoping that the jewel on the front of the dress I like so much is just very simply sewed on, so that I may be able to take it off, add a maroon ribbon around my waist that will trail down my side or back and then re-sew the jewel on top of the ribbon. (I also plan on color coordinating my finger and toe nails. Hehheh.)

For the reception decor, since I want to have the actual wedding outside -preferably on the top of Pine Mt. around one of the lookouts (or the gazebo) on Little Shepherd's Trail (so very little -to no- decoration will have to be used for that) I've decided to try and find tall, clear vases and fill them with fall leaf garlands (conveniently and cheaply found at the Dollar Tree!) and fairy lights that will spiral around the inside of the vases (fairy lights are small, battery powered lcd's on a tiny string). These will be the centerpieces. (ALSO! Does anyone have any of those tall vases? They're hella expensive online!) After that, cover the tables in matching runners of some sort and tie tulle bows to the chairs. Of course, there will still be a bit more decorations, but so far I think I have the main parts hammered out in my head. (Also, this will be for the reception dinner...after that...I'm gonna change things up a bit and bring in some more "spooky" decorations for the party!)

Centerpiece examples:

Think similar to this, with the lights below swirling upward in the vase.

Fairy lights - These come in several other colors as well.
Also, the site I found these on, has TONS of decorating stuff! Reasonable prices too!
You can check out their other stuff here: Save-On-Crafts

And, of course, every Ace (asexual) needs their cake! (Sorry, for the in-joke...it's an asexual/AVEN thing...I believe it started with something about "Cake is better than sex!" and probably the show, Ace of Cakes that was on the Food Network before ('Ace' being short for 'Asexual.) 

Annnnyyyyway..... (sorry for the bad joke...)

I thought long and hard about what sort of cake I wanted...one that represented me, one that fit the theme, etc. After much deliberation, I've decided that since I LOVE Halloween and Fall, that a cake fitting the theme, also fits me! I've found TONS of REALLY nice Halloween cakes! The decision was hard! Some were more gruesome, some more spooky, some childish, some cartoon-y, some very Tim Burton-y (those ones are awesome btw!), some shaped like skulls and other body parts, some more elegant. For now though...I think I've fallen most in love with this one:


This cake has slight elegance (sort of...lol) is not too creepy or gore-y, looks pretty (not too childishly cute, not too grown up), and it finds a nice medium in-between straight Halloween cake and straight Fall cake. (And as Goth as I am, and as cool as they are...it's not a stereotypical "goth" cake that's all red and black and nothing else. Don't get me wrong though, some of those are nice...but they just don't...feel right for this to me for some reason. This cake, however reminds me of that crisp air, dark nights, Fall/Halloween vibe that I love soooo much!)

As far as someone to make the cake, I have two people I know of that might could pull it off. One is an actual bakery and one is my old middle school algebra teacher who can rock an awesome cake! Hopefully, someone can pull this beauty off nicely! (Also, if you're curious about flavorings...I'm thinking a nice chocolate/red velvet mix...sound yummy enough?)

As far as the other food goes...I'm sort of leaning towards something easy and well-priced to get. Like, say Joe Pack's chicken? (By the way, if you've never had Joe Pack's chicken...you are missing out on a great local (Letcher County, KY) food source! And then perhaps have some hearty sides like macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, potato salad, etc. You know, those good, 'warm your insides' types of foods? I want my guests to both enjoy their food and also get enough of it so that they don't have to nibble on something else when they get home! Also, I figured, due to the theme and the party afterwards, that some "creepy" snacks and appetizers (some sweet, some savory) should be brought in as well. I may just have those catered though since I likely will have all sorts of issues and screw-ups trying to make creepy food dishes! Also, since I don't care for alcohol and weddings to be mixed (and because the reception will likely be at Whitesburg Library's meeting rooms and I don't know how they would feel about drunken people on their property) I've decided that instead of a cocktail bar...(and since it would be near Halloween)...how about a candy bar? I'll have a table full of yummy treats and some cute little bags and guests can create their own yummy Halloween treat bags! It also doubles as a sort of favor for my guests (the other favor I'm thinking should be bubble or glow stick related...there will be raving at the party after all!)

And on a VERY important note:

The date! Oh my goodness! The DATE! What an annoying situation that is! 

After much deliberation (and some heavy sighing since I would love to have a Halloween-versay - well, I guess each year I could celebrate it each year on Halloween anyway though. lol.) I've decided that my wedding will take place either Saturday, October 27th or Sunday, October 28th. This way, more people should be able to come and it wouldn't interfere (as much) with people's schedules (be they work, school, or Trick or Treating). It seems however, that my "honeymoon" afterwards will have me missing a day of class though, maybe - depending on the say I have the wedding, since Red River makes you book at least two nights, and c'mon...I want at LEAST that much of a vacation! But, I'll just have to work that out with my Drawing teacher somehow. Also, this would put me being back home in time to enjoy Halloween day with my friends! (I'm also thinking, that since I wouldn't leave for Red River Gorge until the day AFTER my wedding, that I should spend one night at the hotel in Whitesburg the night of my wedding - in one of their Honeymoon Suites (Jacuzzi, bitches!!!!) to relax before heading out the next day (with friends possibly in tow) to spend some time at the Gorge. 

So what's everyone think of that? And the day? Which one do most of you like best? Saturday or Sunday?

Once again, advice, ideas, opinions on things, etc, always appreciated! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and understanding with your comments. Thanks!