Friday, July 27, 2012

Wedding Update: A few ideas...

So, I didn't really know where to put this. I've been talking to some of my friends on Facebook (the 'aren't gonna commit me to an asylum' ones) and they've been quite supportive so far, and it's SO awesome! (I feel so loved! *tears up*) So, I wanted to make a spot so I could ask them questions and advice and general help since...well...since I'm pretty much taking a shot in the dark on this! I've never planned a wedding before after all! But I didn't want to send them giant group messages all the time, a page would be too public, and a group...well...groups tend to not be very active most of the time for some reason (at least, in my experience with creating them.) So, I figured I'd post what I'm doing and what I've came up with here so they can read it at their leisure and if they've got something they can message me on my Facebook or leave a comment here. Also, for anyone else thinking of also doing a self-wedding, perhaps you can read through these updates of mine and learn from my mistakes (I'm sure I'll make some at some point!) or even garner an idea or two.

Anyway, onto the actual update...

First of all, for a wedding, a bride normally has a pretty dress (or some other awesome bit of clothing of her choosing). For the longest time, I've always thought of that dress as being a corset-style (boned) A-line dress with a lot of poof at the bottom. A really princess-y kind of dress! Well, the other day, I decided to go have funzies with one of my friends and try on a few dresses (okay, so I only tried on 3...err...2...one wouldn't fit...lol) And, to my SUPER surprise...I didn't really like the big, poofy, A-line one I tried on! (Sure, there may be another one that I DO like...but...this one...wasn't for me...it was pretty (okay, downright f-ing gorgeous!!!!) but...it was heavy...I didn't look that good in it (pretty dress, but not pretty on ME), and it weighed, like, a solid 50 lbs!) I could barely stand up in the thing comfortably!

So, I tried on another dress...the woman at the shop said it was probably the lightest dress they had in stock (completely different than the first one I tried). It was an empire-waist (one of the cuts -other than mermaid- that I thought I would absolutely hate!) chiffon dress. Very simple...very little bling, no poof at all, just simple, elegant, and flowy. And...I abso-tive-ly LOVED it! It looked so beautiful! And beautiful on me! So much so that for once in my life I didn't even pay attention to my awful upper arm fat! Now that's what a dress should do! Make you comfortable, make you feel pretty, and make it look like you...but better. (My friend said she didn't even notice my arms when I asked her about it (even though it was a strapless dress so they should've been in full view) because the rest of it looked so pretty.) It was sort of like the focus was on me, the important parts of me...like my flabby arms weren't even there...just a girl who was absolutely beaming in her elegant dress. Yes, I was in love with the dress! (I wanted to say 'Yes' to the dress! XD)


But, even though it was a wonderful price (just a little over $200 -and had I had the money, I would've bought it then and there) but...I didn't have the money. And I won't have it until September...mid-September at that. The wonderful lady said she'd hold it for a few days for me in case I could get the money up in time. But I know it's a lost cause...I have nowhere to get that money from. And there's a good bet that it will probably be gone by September (unless I'm hella lucky! Which I'm normally...not.) Good thing is, I found a very similar one on eBay, that can be custom fit (Go China! Home of cheap wedding dresses and cosplay costumes with custom sizing!) The only differences I can see in it is that one side of the bust looks like it doesn't have chiffon over it and the embellishment on the front looks like it might have some sort of red jewel in it which, the one in store, did not...just crystal and possibly a few pearls (also, on me, the dress is a bit longer than on the model in this pic...which I kind of liked). I like the one in the store better, but they're pretty close contenders. (I wish I had taken a picture of the one in the store! Stupid me didn't even THINK about it!) But, if it comes down to it, I might just buy the one online. It's still pretty close, and it looks just as pretty!

Here is the one on eBay (click to enlarge):















And, as far as a nice, poofy dress goes...I'm thinking of wearing a different (more Halloween-ish) one to the reception, which I'm very much thinking should allow people to come in costume as well since it's doubling as a Halloween party. But, since it's also such an important day for me - I figured I'd stay with something formal...yet still Halloween-y. I love dresses that are short up front and long in the back, but for partying, I'm thinking maybe do just a short, party dress of some sort (leave short-in-front-long-in-back or princess-y A-line dresses to cosplay sometime.) I found a few other custom-made dresses online that allow for choosing the dress colors, so I'm thinking something short and poofy and black with an orange ribbon around it or something. Or should I arrive in a different, but still very wedding style, dress instead of the Halloween one? Thoughts? Opinions?

Onwards...

On another topic now: Most people play the same, old, plain, music at a wedding - The Wedding March, which is fine, but it's definitely not me! And I've recently fell in love with a song (okay, fell in love with it a month or so ago when it was in one of the anime I was watching.) But it was recently released, including an off-vocal/no lyrics version that is stunningly beautiful! Not only that, but it has just enough of a creepy/haunt factor to make it very well suited for a Halloween-themed wedding! Plus the somber-ness of it seems well suited, to me anyway, for something as emotion-based as a self-wedding.

You can check it out here and see what you think of it:




So...opinions? How's everyone think of the wedding dress? The reception dress idea? The song?

Any advice on anything else? What all I need to do, start planning, etc.? Always much appreciated! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and understanding with your comments. Thanks!