Friday, July 20, 2012

A Haunting Self-Wedding?

So this is something I've been mulling around in my head for...almost...a year now?

I've always wanted to have a wonderful wedding!

I love the idea of going out with my best friends, choosing a dress, decorating, coming up with some awesome vows, having a cake made just the way I want it (hopefully), catering a nice dinner, partying afterwards, etc. (And yes, I also know weddings can be difficult and stressful things to plan and execute but the fun memories is normally worth it.) But, due to certain things (I may explain all this in a post later - needless to say it has to do with both my asexuality and my aromanticism...and...well, logic) I will likely never be a bride and walk down the isle (unless it's in my head! Fictional characters FTW!)

So, about a year ago I came across the terms 'self-wedding' and 'self-marriage'. Basically a single person (or a single-at-the-moment) person has a ceremony (normally small, but can be as big as you want) in front of a few friends and vows certain things for themselves and their future (like, always remaining true to one's self, being honest, learning to accept themselves or better themselves, to realize that they are important and to never give up a piece of themselves for a petty reason (or a petty person), etc.) Basically, saying aloud positive affirmations (preferably in front of other people to make certain that if things get tough someone is there to remind them of the promises you made to yourself.) I really rather fancy the idea of it. Everyone needs some 'me' time and it's also helpful to look inside one's self to determine your good qualities and your bad; to do that deep, inner thinking thing and take the time to promise yourself that you'll do your best to keep your good stuff and work on getting rid of the bad. Plus, if you wanna do it fancy, you can invite your friends, have them dress up all pretty, dress yourself up all nice too (it might make you feel better!), and say it aloud (a show of your perseverance for positive change in your life), and party it up for funzies afterwards!

A lot of people think it's absolutely insane and I've heard several snide remarks about the people who do it (or would like to) and how narcissistic they are, etc. (Is it really that narcissistic? How about people who have those giganto-millionaire birthday parties? At least this is trying to include positive change! (And your friends get to party! I'm sure they would have fun partying with you, even if it is for something "odd.") But hey, I'm quite eccentric and crazy and I'm already "weird" so...who cares? Haha!

But anyway, since I would absolutely LOVE to do something like this (and because I've always wanted to have a Halloween party and never could at my house (much too small) and a venue recently opened up where I could have one) I've been thinking that I may just go for it! However, my family would likely think I was nuts, so as much as I would like telling them about it, I probably won't. And even most of my friends would think I'm off my rocker (they don't already? lol.) It's a little hard for me to get all happy-happy and announce it to everyone! But I do know that some of my closest friends might just go for it without thinking I need to be committed to an asylum just yet. So, since I'll be getting some extra cash this fall, I'm thinking I might just go ahead and do it. Have a small ceremony with my closest, 'wouldn't commit me' friends and then having an all out Halloween bash (candy, scary movies, costume contest, ghost stories, games, etc.) afterwards with all my other friends as part of my 'reception'. Mwahaha! And then, since I've been dying to go anyway, I can go and relax in a beautiful cabin in the top of the mountains (Red River Gorge has been looking pretty inviting to me.) I can bring a few friends with me, or enjoy the calm of going solo (haven't decided on that yet.) And that can be my 'honeymoon.' I mean, what part of this doesn't sound fun!?

(Plus it gives me an excuse to cosplay as one of my OC characters (a Princess) and wear a big, poofy, expensive dress all at the same time with no one being the wiser! Ha!)

So, anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? (And I don't wanna be the thought police, but I've heard enough from the naysayers...go think it...somewhere else!) Also, any ideas for my vows? (I'm kind of thinking do the serious ones with just my besties and then have a mock-wedding at the party so I can say some awesomely funny, anime-centric ones too!) So, anyone got any of those? How about how to decorate for a great Halloween party and what to include? I've never done one before, and I want it to be AWESOME!!!! Something people will remember (and possibly want to do again!) Also, I like doing things on the date (Hello! Halloween-versary!) but Halloween is on a Wednesday this year...which may make it difficult for some of my friends to show up (some of them have to work, some may have to take their kids out TOT-ing that night, plus I'll have class the next day! Also, the venue might have something planned that day already!) Also is it weird for a honeymoon to be a few days later? The date is giving me uber troubles! Plus, do I have the cake represent me and my interests like I always wanted? Or should it be just Halloween-oriented (I mean, that is an interest of mine...but...how about my other interests? Combine them? Would that be ugly?)

So MANY, MANY questions! And there's not much time left! I need help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind and understanding with your comments. Thanks!